To keep the computerized advertising bots out of SGRID, I came up with a list of several trick questions, that I was hoping a real person would answer, but that the computers would never get past. It worked for several months, before they figured out how to get past my questions.

So, below is the list of the questions I'm now asking in the account creation process. Feel free to share all these with any QSAC members. You can print them in the newsletter if you wish. If I was smarter, I'd have asked Brent about that last year....

Please suggest new, similar questions below, and I'll replace the old ones with new ones, which will stump the computerized bots for at least a while. Don't post the answers - If i can't figure the answer out, maybe the question is too specialized or complicated.... but please make them difficult!

• You have 12 black socks and 12 white socks mixed up in a drawer. You're up very early and it's too dark to tell them apart. What's the smallest number of socks you need to take out (blindly) to be sure of having a matching pair?
  • Tom's mother has three children. One is named April, one is named May. What is the third one named?
  • At 12:00pm in the USA, what four letter word reads the same forwards or backwards or even upside down?
  • There is a house with four walls. Each wall faces south. There is a window in each wall. A bear walks by one of the windows. What colour is the bear?
  • A boat has a ladder that has six rungs, each rung is one foot apart. The bottom rung is one foot from the water. The tide rises at 12 inches every 15 minutes. High tide peaks in one hour. When the tide is at its highest, how many rungs are under water?
  • What 5-letter word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it?
  • If you were competing in a race and you passed the car in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?

It took forever to come up with the above list - they had to be something that (a human) would have to really think about. I'd like to get 8 more to replace the above for a while, and maybe another 8 in a few months....